Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Responses to E-Mails

In response to a couple of queries:

I do not receive any CDs from publishers or artists. I am buying every one of the CDs I have and discuss, so I am completely independent of any of those influences.

Second, I do not use Spotify or otherwise download music from free sources. As you should know by now if you have been reading this blog, I am a firm believer in patronizing local stores when possible. I rarely if ever download from ITunes -- I only do so if something is out of print and too expensive to buy from a secondary seller.  I comb stores with used CDs for the hard-to-get, out-of-print stuff when possible.

Finally, I actually have had very little feedback so far regarding the blog posts and would really appreciate some as a means of determining what is interesting and what is not, what I should do more of, etc. For example, I wrote about British Jazz and asked if anyone had any other artists of note to share; to date I have no responses.

Thanks for listening. More posts to come, but let me leave you with one new CD that blows me away, and that is "Wisteria" by Steve Kuhn, Steve Swallow, and Joey Barron. (ECM 2012) . I am sure those who read blogs and the like have seen other rave reviews already, but I just have to add my two cents that this is a brilliant trio disc. It has a lot more bounce than a typical ECM piano trio recording, it features artists that are truly listening to each other, and artists who can either color a song, push a beat, or play a remarkable solo. I fear it will get overlooked by those who avoid the "ECM sound" and it shouldn't. This is a trio recording for the ages.

WisteriaWisteria

No comments:

Post a Comment