But one thing that immediately comes to the forefront is that ECM had a great year, or at least a great year according to my ears. After the sort I have 17 ECM CDs that I purchased this year, and all appeal to me in every way. Here are all 17, followed by the ones I have selected for my best of the year group. Again, all are great, but a few are outstanding and one was superior to the rest.
Here they all are:
- Sheppard, Benita and Rochford "Trio Libero"
- Nik Bartsch's Ronin "Live"
- Enrico Rava "Rava on the Dance Floor" (not available yet in the U.S. This is a European version)
- Johnson and Elias "Swept Away"
- John Abercrombie Quartet "Within a Song"
- Gabarek, Gismonti, Haden "Carta de Amor"
- Benedict Jahnel Trio "Equilibrium"
- Jose Luis Monton "Solo Guitarra" (not available yet in the U.S. This is a European version)
- Louis Sclavis Atlas Trio "Sources"
- John Surman "Saltash Bells"
- Arild Andersen "Celebration"
- Bobo Stenson Trio "Indicum"
- Masabumi Kikuchi Trio "Sunrise"
- Steve Kuhn Trio "Wisteria"
- Billy Hart "All Our Reasons"
- Keith Jarrett "Sleeper"
- Fly "Year of the Snake"
And to sneak in another, how about one I can list under the category of reissues and unearthed treasures: Keith Jarrett's "Sleeper", stirring, emotional, and fabulous.